GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl
GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

A forum for all the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1965-1996, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!


    79 you have seen before

    Share
    avatar
    Myloth
    Forum Moderator

    Posts : 613
    Join date : 2014-06-09
    Location : At the base of the Mountain (NY) Adirondacks

    Re: 79 you have seen before

    Post  Myloth on Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:44 pm

    No hehe . Turns out that damn water pump went bad it fooled me because it was quiet when I disconnected the alternators.

    I don't blame the pump entirely though I had some bad alignment going there because of the PS. And that will kill them pretty quick.

    That radiator is a Summit I believe they go for around $125-150 I acquired it used from a guy parting out a 95' Imp SS.

    Tomorrow I will go get a new PS and Water pump and be done I'm almost ready to spend $120 on a Weiand pump at NAPA.

    Hmm that Weiand pump would really get people going though when they see that 305 and start insisting it's a 355 or 383 .
    avatar
    Fierro51
    Auto Enthusiast
    Auto Enthusiast

    Posts : 119
    Join date : 2016-01-20
    Location : Cheyenne, Wy

    Re: 79 you have seen before

    Post  Fierro51 on Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:10 pm

    Myloth wrote:No hehe . Turns out that damn water pump went bad it fooled me because it was quiet when I disconnected the alternators.

    I don't blame the pump entirely though I had some bad alignment going there because of the PS. And that will kill them pretty quick.

    That radiator is a Summit I believe they go for around $125-150 I acquired it used from a guy parting out a 95' Imp SS.

    Tomorrow I will go get a new PS and Water pump and be done I'm almost ready to spend $120 on a Weiand pump at NAPA.

    Hmm that Weiand pump would really get people going though when they see that 305 and start insisting it's a 355 or 383 .
    Spend it now or later


    _________________
      1977 impala coupe Vin#135300 (found abandoned)
    AFCO Radiators Sweet mfg. Bassett Racing
    4.8 turbo LS swap in progress

    2015 F250 ccsb Platinum   
    avatar
    Myloth
    Forum Moderator

    Posts : 613
    Join date : 2014-06-09
    Location : At the base of the Mountain (NY) Adirondacks

    Re: 79 you have seen before

    Post  Myloth on Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:06 pm

    Actually I had to spend it on the Power Steering pump at NAPA($50)

    The PS pump is for a 72 Chevelle rather than 79 Impala as it's the most common aftermarket

    and has tons of brackets and pulleys that fit right it's either this or go Serpentine but I just don't have time.

    (or the purse) Those mid to late 70s GM PS brackets are pox upon the automotive realm I say!

    I had very weird harmonics from my belts slipping and the PS pump knocking and vibrating so the water pump is ok !

    I think the poor alignment I had toasted the PS pump badly but it was used anyway.

    The new one will be my 3rd one so far but the first one not from a yard so ....

    I think the other day was just a bad day for me and panic struck me. But I do have brand new

    mounts for the PS pump so hopefully I won't have to purchase another anytime soon!
    avatar
    Fierro51
    Auto Enthusiast
    Auto Enthusiast

    Posts : 119
    Join date : 2016-01-20
    Location : Cheyenne, Wy

    Re: 79 you have seen before

    Post  Fierro51 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:55 pm

    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Power-Steering-Pump-Combo-10-AN-Fittings,33011.html?sku=91032913&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&catargetid=530009170000095656&cadevice=t&gclid=CjwKEAiA3Ou1BRDso5XyhduuwFASJABP3PEDWvdfTR1FWzpeY5KLBk0ki4N5jCi4fCJJMa64ak9qoxoCazbw_wcB
    Myloth wrote:Actually I had to spend it on the Power Steering pump at NAPA($50)

    The PS pump is for a 72 Chevelle rather than 79 Impala as it's the most common aftermarket

    and has tons of brackets and pulleys that fit right it's either this or go Serpentine but I just don't have time.


    (or the purse) Those mid to late 70s GM PS brackets are pox upon the automotive realm I say!

    I had very weird harmonics from my belts slipping and the PS pump knocking and vibrating so the water pump is ok !

    I think the poor alignment I had toasted the PS pump badly but it was used anyway.

    The new one will be my 3rd one so far but the first one not from a yard so ....

    I think the other day was just a bad day for me and panic struck me. But I do have brand new

    mounts for the PS pump so hopefully I won't have to purchase another anytime soon!

    If it craps out again buy this. This is all we use on all our modifieds sweet is a old friend of my dads, we use these Unless were running alachol then we use the combo ps and fuel pump


    _________________
      1977 impala coupe Vin#135300 (found abandoned)
    AFCO Radiators Sweet mfg. Bassett Racing
    4.8 turbo LS swap in progress

    2015 F250 ccsb Platinum   
    avatar
    Myloth
    Forum Moderator

    Posts : 613
    Join date : 2014-06-09
    Location : At the base of the Mountain (NY) Adirondacks

    Re: 79 you have seen before

    Post  Myloth on Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:27 pm

    That's a thought if it does give me trouble though it's lifetime limited (for what that's worth) and Napa would

    replace in within 30 days or more I'd hope. I am leery of Remans , I had a bear of a time with a 2005 Impala

    I went through 3 reman pumps before I went to yard they all made noise out of the box and I followed proper

    procedure for install. In this case though the pumps in the yards (If they have one) are ancient and many are dried up

    finding a good one took me a while searching through a few hundred. GM had new ones available but the inventory

    dried up can't find them anymore and I tried to find one. A lot of these store parts now though I have notice aren't all

    remans but new. Not PS pumps (of course haha) but in the case of water pumps and other parts. Like Auto Zone sells a

    Aluminum\Iron water pump for $60 that's a new part not a bad deal if the quality is there.
    avatar
    Fierro51
    Auto Enthusiast
    Auto Enthusiast

    Posts : 119
    Join date : 2016-01-20
    Location : Cheyenne, Wy

    Re: 79 you have seen before

    Post  Fierro51 on Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:55 pm

    Myloth wrote:That's a thought if it does give me trouble though it's lifetime limited (for what that's worth) and Napa would

    replace in within 30 days or more I'd hope. I am leery of Remans , I had a bear of a time with a 2005 Impala

    I went through 3 reman pumps before I went to yard they all made noise out of the box and I followed proper

    procedure for install. In this case though the pumps in the yards (If they have one) are ancient and many are dried up

    finding a good one took me a while searching through a few hundred. GM had new ones available but the inventory

    dried up can't find them anymore and I tried to find one. A lot of these store parts now though I have notice aren't all

    remans but new. Not PS pumps (of course haha) but in the case of water pumps and other parts. Like Auto Zone sells a

    Aluminum\Iron water pump for $60 that's a new part not a bad deal if the quality is there.
    yeah theres alot of knock off stuff out therer. But if its got a warranty go for it


    _________________
      1977 impala coupe Vin#135300 (found abandoned)
    AFCO Radiators Sweet mfg. Bassett Racing
    4.8 turbo LS swap in progress

    2015 F250 ccsb Platinum   
    avatar
    Myloth
    Forum Moderator

    Posts : 613
    Join date : 2014-06-09
    Location : At the base of the Mountain (NY) Adirondacks

    Re: 79 you have seen before

    Post  Myloth on Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:40 pm

    I figure I'd post my final fix for the damn PS pump here. I bought this off ebay and it works better than anything else I've

    tried so far.



    Alignment and tension are easy enough to achieve without going crazy.

    Here's pics of it installed.





    It uses a block mount with two bolts going into the block which I like. This is solid and does not vibrate here's shots

    where you can see the block bolts.





    Oh my goodness I am just glad it works and does not squeal what a PITA it was before.
    avatar
    Fierro51
    Auto Enthusiast
    Auto Enthusiast

    Posts : 119
    Join date : 2016-01-20
    Location : Cheyenne, Wy

    Re: 79 you have seen before

    Post  Fierro51 on Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:02 pm

    Myloth wrote:I figure I'd post my final fix for the damn PS pump here. I bought this off ebay and it works better than anything else I've

    tried so far.



    Alignment and tension are easy enough to achieve without going crazy.

    Here's pics of it installed.





    It uses a block mount with two bolts going into the block which I like. This is solid and does not vibrate here's shots

    where you can see the block bolts.





    Oh my goodness I am just glad it works and does not squeal what a PITA it was before.
    If it craps out put a electric water pump in


    _________________
      1977 impala coupe Vin#135300 (found abandoned)
    AFCO Radiators Sweet mfg. Bassett Racing
    4.8 turbo LS swap in progress

    2015 F250 ccsb Platinum   
    avatar
    Myloth
    Forum Moderator

    Posts : 613
    Join date : 2014-06-09
    Location : At the base of the Mountain (NY) Adirondacks

    Re: 79 you have seen before

    Post  Myloth on Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:27 pm

    Yeah that's the ticket electric water pump and a manual steering gear! I'll just have to do the Pro street skinnies up front!
    avatar
    Myloth
    Forum Moderator

    Posts : 613
    Join date : 2014-06-09
    Location : At the base of the Mountain (NY) Adirondacks

    Re: 79 you have seen before

    Post  Myloth on Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:48 pm

    I swear anything that I have not replaced myself seems to need replacing as soon as I go to do a minor task.

    I replaced my pads (with recommended pads from the admin) and noticed a leak in the caliper and a torn hose so I

    get new calipers and a hose. After bleeding no pedal at all surprise Sad. Turns out the master dudded out, so in the end

    it practically a new front braking system by weekends end . I did do a nice 90ft panic after about 20 seating stops

    though no screech or lockup so I think it's set. Hopefully I can do some actual driving this week I've had enough wrenching

    this week Smile. And it seems an early spring is upon us hopefully we can all enjoy a little cruising.
    avatar
    Myloth
    Forum Moderator

    Posts : 613
    Join date : 2014-06-09
    Location : At the base of the Mountain (NY) Adirondacks

    Re: 79 you have seen before

    Post  Myloth on Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:40 pm

    I changed the belt from a 44" to a 43" and the pump now sits up.





    With a 43.5 it would fit but the pump would cock sideways like with 44". I had to drill out the end of the bracket for it to

    fit and flatten the edge of the reservoir a tad (Only used a tack hammer) it's a real tight fit going on but not even the

    littlest damn squeak to be heard! All these damn aftermarket brackets seem to be just a rough layout you DIY the rest lol.
    avatar
    Myloth
    Forum Moderator

    Posts : 613
    Join date : 2014-06-09
    Location : At the base of the Mountain (NY) Adirondacks

    Re: 79 you have seen before

    Post  Myloth on Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:29 pm

    Well nobody liked my bronze\gold grille so I reshot it in black with metallic silver light frames not too bad for $5 dollars

    worth of paint.





    On a side note I was wondering where reman companies get their paint? Even the 1.25 can at the dollar general seems to

    have more staying power than the Reman paint. I had to swap my master for a reman due to failure and it's been in there

    about 5 weeks . this morning I noticed about 60 percent of it was rust! In 2014 I painted the Booster and 97 percent of it

    is rust free today. They must use latex spray paint or spray food coloring no?
    avatar
    Myloth
    Forum Moderator

    Posts : 613
    Join date : 2014-06-09
    Location : At the base of the Mountain (NY) Adirondacks

    Edelbrock and regulator

    Post  Myloth on Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:42 pm

    I thought I'd suggest something I just confirmed after reading this many times about Edelbrocks. And that is they

    need a Fuel Pressure regulator. I just installed mine and the difference is night and day when it comes to idle. Before my

    idle while smooth almost sounded Big Cammed (stock 305) now it sounds Ultra smooth and I don't smell any excess gas at

    all.

    I installed the Summit regulator below and set it 5.5 I also use all 3/8 line .

    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3032

    The excess fuel pressure does indeed flood the Edelbrock Carbs.

    Pics installed slightly cobbed but functional and leak free




    avatar
    mobilemowers
    Junior Member
    Junior Member

    Posts : 21
    Join date : 2016-03-31

    Re: 79 you have seen before

    Post  mobilemowers on Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:28 pm


    Wow such a long tread. Just need to clean up your wires and your done. I used the chrome spray paint. Not really chromie but it's better then peeling for flat paint.

    avatar
    Myloth
    Forum Moderator

    Posts : 613
    Join date : 2014-06-09
    Location : At the base of the Mountain (NY) Adirondacks

    Re: 79 you have seen before

    Post  Myloth on Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:24 pm

    Yeah I used metallic silver on the lights with clear coat on that and the grille. I need get some good looms those

    wires are the newer Accel 5mm and they seem to work excellent .(But they don't fit regular looms )
    avatar
    Sweet Seventy9
    Forum Moderator

    Posts : 936
    Join date : 2013-11-03
    Location : Upstate NY

    Re: 79 you have seen before

    Post  Sweet Seventy9 on Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:39 am

    Hey Bro, you want anything off this before it goes to the crusher on monday?









    _________________
    1977 Impala Landau x1
    1977 Caprice Coupe x3, Sedan x3
    1978 Impala Landau x1, Sedan x2, Station Wagon x1
    1978 Caprice Coupe x2
    1979 Impala Coupe x2
    1979 Caprice Coupe x6, Landau x4, Estate Wagon x1
    1981 Impala Coupe x1
    1983 Impala Sedan x1
    1983 Caprice Sedan x1
    1984 Caprice Landau x1, Sedan x1
    1985 Caprice Coupe x1, Landau x3, Sedan x4
    1986 Caprice Coupe x1, Landau x1
    1987 Caprice Landau x1, Sedan x4
    1989 Caprice Sedan 9C1 x4
    avatar
    Myloth
    Forum Moderator

    Posts : 613
    Join date : 2014-06-09
    Location : At the base of the Mountain (NY) Adirondacks

    Re: 79 you have seen before

    Post  Myloth on Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:19 pm

    How big is the air cleaner opening is it 5" or smaller? I need a winter\fall intake I sold that Dual air cleaner

    (The money was just too good).
    avatar
    Sweet Seventy9
    Forum Moderator

    Posts : 936
    Join date : 2013-11-03
    Location : Upstate NY

    Re: 79 you have seen before

    Post  Sweet Seventy9 on Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:04 pm

    Myloth wrote:How big is the air cleaner opening is it 5" or smaller? I need a winter\fall intake I sold that Dual air cleaner

    (The money was just too good).

    It fits a Rochester 4bbl, what ever size that is. It should fit your edelbrock.


    _________________
    1977 Impala Landau x1
    1977 Caprice Coupe x3, Sedan x3
    1978 Impala Landau x1, Sedan x2, Station Wagon x1
    1978 Caprice Coupe x2
    1979 Impala Coupe x2
    1979 Caprice Coupe x6, Landau x4, Estate Wagon x1
    1981 Impala Coupe x1
    1983 Impala Sedan x1
    1983 Caprice Sedan x1
    1984 Caprice Landau x1, Sedan x1
    1985 Caprice Coupe x1, Landau x3, Sedan x4
    1986 Caprice Coupe x1, Landau x1
    1987 Caprice Landau x1, Sedan x4
    1989 Caprice Sedan 9C1 x4
    avatar
    Fierro51
    Auto Enthusiast
    Auto Enthusiast

    Posts : 119
    Join date : 2016-01-20
    Location : Cheyenne, Wy

    Re: 79 you have seen before

    Post  Fierro51 on Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:08 pm

    Myloth wrote:Yeah that's the ticket electric water pump and a manual steering gear! I'll just have to do the Pro street skinnies up front!
    thats the plan with mine as well, but before the skinnies up front im putting a sweet 6:1 gear box in with the sweet pump i already have it will turn on a dime
    Smile

    your cars looking good tho


    _________________
      1977 impala coupe Vin#135300 (found abandoned)
    AFCO Radiators Sweet mfg. Bassett Racing
    4.8 turbo LS swap in progress

    2015 F250 ccsb Platinum   
    avatar
    Myloth
    Forum Moderator

    Posts : 613
    Join date : 2014-06-09
    Location : At the base of the Mountain (NY) Adirondacks

    Diamond Plate ?

    Post  Myloth on Sun May 15, 2016 4:29 pm

    I have been fooling around with some Diamond Plate here's a few albeit rough

    takes on some of my handiwork .






    Still needs a bit more finishing I need to clean up the dash ,get a rug and get some rubber

    trim.
    avatar
    Sweet Seventy9
    Forum Moderator

    Posts : 936
    Join date : 2013-11-03
    Location : Upstate NY

    Re: 79 you have seen before

    Post  Sweet Seventy9 on Sat May 21, 2016 10:03 am

    Free black carpet in great condition. Just come and get it.







    _________________
    1977 Impala Landau x1
    1977 Caprice Coupe x3, Sedan x3
    1978 Impala Landau x1, Sedan x2, Station Wagon x1
    1978 Caprice Coupe x2
    1979 Impala Coupe x2
    1979 Caprice Coupe x6, Landau x4, Estate Wagon x1
    1981 Impala Coupe x1
    1983 Impala Sedan x1
    1983 Caprice Sedan x1
    1984 Caprice Landau x1, Sedan x1
    1985 Caprice Coupe x1, Landau x3, Sedan x4
    1986 Caprice Coupe x1, Landau x1
    1987 Caprice Landau x1, Sedan x4
    1989 Caprice Sedan 9C1 x4
    avatar
    Myloth
    Forum Moderator

    Posts : 613
    Join date : 2014-06-09
    Location : At the base of the Mountain (NY) Adirondacks

    Re: 79 you have seen before

    Post  Myloth on Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:02 pm

    PM sent on the carpet.

    I sold off my 15" rims and purchased some 16x8 4th gen Camaro rims



    This is with a 1" spacer and 215/60/16 (talk about a tight fit to the frame! Although I think with 2" spacers 275s are not out of the question.)

    I need 2" spacers (Ordering them now ) though as the backspacing on these is 6.5" vs 4.5" for OEM

    Not too bad I haven't even cleaned them up yet just sprayed them. This is the back I

    can't even put the front ones on without 2" spacers lol.
    avatar
    Sweet Seventy9
    Forum Moderator

    Posts : 936
    Join date : 2013-11-03
    Location : Upstate NY

    Re: 79 you have seen before

    Post  Sweet Seventy9 on Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:34 pm

    Backspacing supposedly is 4.5" on my GTA Trans Am wheels but the 245's rub on the frame rail during hard cornering.

    It's funny though..... the 15x10 Wheel Vintiques wheels with 5" backspacing and 295s didn't rub at all.

    I bet it has to so with the positive offset that BOTH the GTA and Camaro wheels have.


    I'm sorry Bro, but those tiny tires look ridiculous, lol!  Almost as bad as the 245/50s in the pic.




    Sing it with me -
    ♪♫♪ Low rider drives a little slower.
    Low rider is a real goer
                                 Take a little trip, take a little trip
                                 Take a little trip with me.  ♪♫♫♪


    Last edited by Sweet Seventy9 on Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total


    _________________
    1977 Impala Landau x1
    1977 Caprice Coupe x3, Sedan x3
    1978 Impala Landau x1, Sedan x2, Station Wagon x1
    1978 Caprice Coupe x2
    1979 Impala Coupe x2
    1979 Caprice Coupe x6, Landau x4, Estate Wagon x1
    1981 Impala Coupe x1
    1983 Impala Sedan x1
    1983 Caprice Sedan x1
    1984 Caprice Landau x1, Sedan x1
    1985 Caprice Coupe x1, Landau x3, Sedan x4
    1986 Caprice Coupe x1, Landau x1
    1987 Caprice Landau x1, Sedan x4
    1989 Caprice Sedan 9C1 x4
    avatar
    Myloth
    Forum Moderator

    Posts : 613
    Join date : 2014-06-09
    Location : At the base of the Mountain (NY) Adirondacks

    Re: 79 you have seen before

    Post  Myloth on Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:45 pm

    Actually I have a another set of 225/60/16 for them (hey now that is the factory width ) I don't need big rollers till I get another motor anyhow.

    From 20ft they look good though, when I get the spacers I'll take some distance and closeups

    with the 215/60/16 and 1" spacer there is two fingers worth of space to the rear frame. (definitely 2" spacers needed.)

    I will say I like the ride in the rear better with these than the 15" gumballs. (Less road distress those foot wide tires make you feel everything )
    avatar
    Myloth
    Forum Moderator

    Posts : 613
    Join date : 2014-06-09
    Location : At the base of the Mountain (NY) Adirondacks

    Re: 79 you have seen before

    Post  Myloth on Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:55 pm

    I do admit the look is sweet (pun yea yea)

    However there is better road handling with taller wheels to be sure.

      Current date/time is Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:35 am