It was a late start I didn't even have all the tools out till 1130 and just started cracking lugs.
I did thankfully get my Milwaukee m18 1\2" Impact in the mail yesterday it makes lugnuts and
such a breeze.
Here is the Raybestos Professional Arm it is part number 5071324 and 5071325
The uppers I used are these here are rk620158 and rk620159
The quality seems to be ok on both no complaints so far. That's the ebay 1 1\4 sway bar as well a good piece.
After removing the tire I disconnected the outer tierod from the spindle. Even if you aren't replacing the tierods
like me it's easier to have it out of your way to get the hub off and remove the lower control arm bolts.
Now as far as tierods I have used the Mevotech Supreme numerous times without issue but that's me. Many say Moog
Moog but many of Moogs parts are made in China (Both UCA and LCA above are lol) so I go with the "pro" part for the
best price I say just avoid the bottom of the barrel stuff and "service" grade pieces. Again Mevotech has been ok to me
but do buy what your heart and wallet tell you to. Here's another Mevotech piece the idler Arm
Anyway once you get the tirerod off you can disconnect the balljoints from the spindle.For this you need a pickle fork
and a BIG hammer except no substitute. It's easy with them without you will be cussing and going crazy. The
pickle fork even makes it easier with the tierod ends the rust and age fuse these parts together pretty well.
I just let the spring pop half compressed, a stupid mistake I did make was not pulling the shock absorber first but I can
blame it on the many distractions I had while doing this today. You should pull the shock (1/2 bolts below and 9/16 top
on mine anyway )after you pull the tire off and go from there.
The spring under tension but it's not as tense as a Macpherson spring just be careful. Also be carfeul with
these here they are shims for the Upper Control Arm you probably want to reinstall as they came out I used masking
tape to hold them together to do so.
This shot is under the hood where you access the UCA's bolts and the bolts are splined near the cap so it makes
installation easy as long as you give them a love tap when you put them back in.
Here are the arms installed the lower
needed 21mm wrench or socket the Upper bolts where the shims are used a 3/4" I believe. Ah see that big old
Made in China stamp on the Upper Moog Arm.
There is also a shot of the shims installed behind the bolts. This is as far as I have proceeded today. The springs
are bit off and may need to rethink using them. They measure 18" and the only 18" spring is the standard non AC
since I am putting a somewhat heavier engine I may buy new ones. Also the most of the other springs are shorter
making it easier to install anyway. Either way part deux tomorrow and some spring research tonight.
In retrospect I think you may want to check your Balljoints I thought mine seemed OK. But upon removal and inspection
they were just BAD and the bushings were all cracked. Even the arms were pretty crusty I would be afraid to
see the results of a good bead blasting probably holes in them lol.
Postponed till the new springs arrive the old ones are just not going to work so I ordered these
From a lot of reading on Impalas and Caprices through the forums these are the same as these
and they come highly recommended by most B Body owners who have installed them. They have a high spring rate but
most seem to like the ride so we shall see.