GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl
GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

A forum for all the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1965-1996, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!


    78 caprice sun roof repair/replacment in southern Cali

    Share
    avatar
    spearwarrior
    Junior Member
    Junior Member

    Posts : 15
    Join date : 2015-02-02

    78 caprice sun roof repair/replacment in southern Cali

    Post  spearwarrior on Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:16 pm

    I have a 2 78, one impala that i'm making a donk and a caprice that I'd like to be my daily driver. The caprice has what seems like a stock sun roof that moves but needs to be repaired. Any Idea where to take it in southern california? Thanks in advance. I'll take post pics shortly.
    avatar
    Sweet Seventy9
    Forum Moderator

    Posts : 931
    Join date : 2013-11-03
    Location : Upstate NY

    Re: 78 caprice sun roof repair/replacment in southern Cali

    Post  Sweet Seventy9 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:40 pm

    Welcome to the forum.

    I guess it would depend on what the problem is. If it's electrical, I'd start by calling your local auto electrical repair shops.
    Believe it or not, a local craigslist ad might be helpful too. I did that seeking a new doctor and based on other peoples recommendations I found a good one.

    I look forward to seeing your rides!


    _________________
    1977 Impala Landau x1
    1977 Caprice Coupe x3, Sedan x3
    1978 Impala Landau x1, Sedan x2, Station Wagon x1
    1978 Caprice Coupe x2
    1979 Impala Coupe x2
    1979 Caprice Coupe x5, Landau x4, Estate Wagon x1
    1981 Impala Coupe x1
    1983 Caprice Sedan x1
    1984 Caprice Landau x1, Sedan x1
    1985 Caprice Coupe x1, Landau x3, Sedan x2
    1986 Caprice Coupe x1, Landau x1
    1987 Caprice Landau x1, Sedan x3
    1989 Caprice Sedan 9C1 x4
    avatar
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin

    Posts : 695
    Join date : 2013-01-14
    Age : 24
    Location : Flint/Detroit, MI - Charlotte, NC

    Re: 78 caprice sun roof repair/replacment in southern Cali

    Post  GM B-Body Forum on Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:39 pm

    If its the motor thats wearing out, im sure you could send it off to a company that specializes in electric motors for a repair. But a factory sunroof is super rare!! and finding NOS parts in general for our cars is horrible, trying to find parts for a rare option on an overlooked undesirable chassis (b body) makes it even worse, but welcome to the forum lol!


    _________________
    1979 Caprice Sport Coupe, 400hp Vortec 350, Th350, GM 8.5 w/disc brakes, 3.90 gears Detroit Truetrac, 2.5" stainless duals w/ x-pipe, Dynomax race bullets.
    1984 Caprice Sedan, 305 motor, 700r4
    1978 Caprice Sedan, 305 motor, th350
    1993 L99 Caprice, 4.3 v8, 4l60 trans
    1972 Ford F-100, 302 windsor, c4 trans
    2001 BMW E46 330i, 3.0L
    avatar
    Gooched78Caprice
    Auto Enthusiast
    Auto Enthusiast

    Posts : 106
    Join date : 2014-11-06
    Location : Border riding in the 3-6-oh & 5-oh-3 WA/OR

    Re: 78 caprice sun roof repair/replacment in southern Cali

    Post  Gooched78Caprice on Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:29 pm

    spearwarrior wrote:I have a 2 78, one impala that i'm making a donk and a caprice that I'd like to be my daily driver.  The caprice has what seems like a stock sun roof that moves but needs to be repaired.  Any Idea where to take it in southern california? Thanks in advance.  I'll take post pics shortly.

    Welcome to the forum! Without pics or more detail I am taking a stab in the dark but here's my two pennies...
    I am hoping for you that the motor is working and you probably will just need to have it realigned on its tracks. I am not in SoCal so I'm not much help for shop recommendations but I would recommend to start hitting the auto yards for some relief from future headaches for having these rare sunroofs. Start looking for the late 70s to mid 80s gmc cars with the body by fisher lower door kickplate, I believe it's 76-84 that interchange but not 100% positive.

    My roof guy explained that there should be 2 different sizes so just measure diagonally and if it's the same they should interchange if they both have the fisher kickplate. I found my original parts donor off a 2 door cadillac and now have a spare hidden away that came off a buick that I have for any future problems and both were identical. Either way if it needs replaced or hopefully just aligned I would ask to have the seal replaced just as a precautionary measure while they are messing with it.

    For a replacement headliner, fixing my sunroof and adding a new seal it was just under $500. I had to find the parts myself since my guy with over 20 years of connections was not abe to locate one anywhere on either coast so after months of looking I felt like I struck gold when I found the first one to make mine work properly. I wish you the best on your task at hand.

    P.s. A 1978 caprice is not a Donk. The 2 doors have tons of other names, but a true Donk is the 1971-1976 body style. I know this is nitpicking but putting big wheels will just make it another aerocoupe, fishbowl, glasshouse, etc.... just with clown shoes.  tongue

    P.s.s. I might be in the minority around here but some of these cars with the 22" rims look amazing when done properly. So to each their own. If YOU love it and its how you vision your ride then who cares about what anyone else thinks! I look forward to seeing your progress with these cars.
    avatar
    spearwarrior
    Junior Member
    Junior Member

    Posts : 15
    Join date : 2015-02-02

    Re: 78 caprice sun roof repair/replacment in southern Cali

    Post  spearwarrior on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:04 pm

    The motor works its just the sheet  metal came off and is stuck in it so I cant really open it and I have taped plastic over it to keep as much water out as possible.  I'll be headed to my local pick n pulls in search of replacement parts on the weekends.  I understand that its not a donk but most people don't know that.  I put all new suspension parts on when i got my 26" clown shoes.  I have a lq9 engine that I'm building for it also.  I purchased a 9c1 car for $500 to remove the fuel tank, rear end, and transmission cross member(all needed for the lq9 swap).  

    impala when i first got the rims on:



    I'll get pics of the caprice tomorrow.  Thanks for the warm welcome and the info.  I'm a tech guy that can follow instructions not a real mechanic. But I have tools and know my way arround the local junk yards within an hours drive.
    avatar
    Sweet Seventy9
    Forum Moderator

    Posts : 931
    Join date : 2013-11-03
    Location : Upstate NY

    Re: 78 caprice sun roof repair/replacment in southern Cali

    Post  Sweet Seventy9 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:31 am

    Stockton is So Cal isn't it?

    Check these guys out for spare parts:

    GM SPORTS
    2403 Stagecoach Rd.
    Stockton, CA 95215

    Phone: 209-462-4300
    Fax: 209-462-4303

    http://www.gmsports.com/content/1979-chevrolet-caprice-classic-parts


    Is that an 80's header assembly on your car?


    _________________
    1977 Impala Landau x1
    1977 Caprice Coupe x3, Sedan x3
    1978 Impala Landau x1, Sedan x2, Station Wagon x1
    1978 Caprice Coupe x2
    1979 Impala Coupe x2
    1979 Caprice Coupe x5, Landau x4, Estate Wagon x1
    1981 Impala Coupe x1
    1983 Caprice Sedan x1
    1984 Caprice Landau x1, Sedan x1
    1985 Caprice Coupe x1, Landau x3, Sedan x2
    1986 Caprice Coupe x1, Landau x1
    1987 Caprice Landau x1, Sedan x3
    1989 Caprice Sedan 9C1 x4
    avatar
    spearwarrior
    Junior Member
    Junior Member

    Posts : 15
    Join date : 2015-02-02

    Re: 78 caprice sun roof repair/replacment in southern Cali

    Post  spearwarrior on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:15 pm

    Stockton is northern cali but they don't have that car anymore. That is a 80s header, good eye, it will be replaced with an original.
    avatar
    HeavyChevy77
    Auto Enthusiast
    Auto Enthusiast

    Posts : 215
    Join date : 2013-07-03
    Age : 24
    Location : San Diego, Ca

    Re: 78 caprice sun roof repair/replacment in southern Cali

    Post  HeavyChevy77 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:39 pm

    Where u at in so cal in here in san Diego county closer to the border
    It might be tough to find parts occasionally a doner will show up ..usually missing the parts you go looking for ..
    The was a place but up in san Jose ..somthingautosport... parting a 77caprice four door but Idk if it had a sunroof ...I think it did
    I was gonna get rear doors but to expensive to ship of weight and size but different case with u
    avatar
    Sweet Seventy9
    Forum Moderator

    Posts : 931
    Join date : 2013-11-03
    Location : Upstate NY

    Re: 78 caprice sun roof repair/replacment in southern Cali

    Post  Sweet Seventy9 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:52 pm

    spearwarrior wrote:<snip> That is a 80s header, good eye, it will be replaced with an original.
    Have you considered keeping it?  I think it's a fantastic way to set your car apart from the rest.

    Here's the only one I've seen before:

     


    _________________
    1977 Impala Landau x1
    1977 Caprice Coupe x3, Sedan x3
    1978 Impala Landau x1, Sedan x2, Station Wagon x1
    1978 Caprice Coupe x2
    1979 Impala Coupe x2
    1979 Caprice Coupe x5, Landau x4, Estate Wagon x1
    1981 Impala Coupe x1
    1983 Caprice Sedan x1
    1984 Caprice Landau x1, Sedan x1
    1985 Caprice Coupe x1, Landau x3, Sedan x2
    1986 Caprice Coupe x1, Landau x1
    1987 Caprice Landau x1, Sedan x3
    1989 Caprice Sedan 9C1 x4
    avatar
    HeavyChevy77
    Auto Enthusiast
    Auto Enthusiast

    Posts : 215
    Join date : 2013-07-03
    Age : 24
    Location : San Diego, Ca

    Re: 78 caprice sun roof repair/replacment in southern Cali

    Post  HeavyChevy77 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:59 pm

    I would keep the headlights like that cause everyone has the euro clip but that's my opinion
    Up to u
    I would put hid lights with. new wiring and relays of course they come in blue halo hide too
    I was gonna make a billet grill type out of aluminum and then chrome it and make the same for the bumper ones too
    They make a tiara grill ut goes vertical opposed to horizontal
    So it preference also if u got 1200$ :0
    F... That I rather make mine for around 150$
    avatar
    solo79
    Co-Admin

    Posts : 457
    Join date : 2013-02-06
    Location : Kentucky

    Re: 78 caprice sun roof repair/replacment in southern Cali

    Post  solo79 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:45 pm

    Welcome to the Forum! Nice ride!


    _________________
    1979 Caprice Classic Carmine Metallic 2-door 350/TH350 -under slow frame off restoration!
    1982 Pontiac Trans Am Black T-Top 327/TH350 -Knight Rider KITT replica
    1989 Pontiac Firebird Black T-Top 305/700R4 -nice sunny day daily driver
    1997 Chevrolet Silverado Ext. Cab 3rd Door White Vortec 350/4L60E
    avatar
    solo79
    Co-Admin

    Posts : 457
    Join date : 2013-02-06
    Location : Kentucky

    Re: 78 caprice sun roof repair/replacment in southern Cali

    Post  solo79 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:48 pm

    Gooched78Caprice wrote:
    P.s. A 1978 caprice is not a Donk. The 2 doors have tons of other names, but a true Donk is the 1971-1976 body style. I know this is nitpicking but putting big wheels will just make it another aerocoupe, fishbowl, glasshouse, etc.... just with clown shoes.  tongue

    Personally, I like "Fishtank."


    _________________
    1979 Caprice Classic Carmine Metallic 2-door 350/TH350 -under slow frame off restoration!
    1982 Pontiac Trans Am Black T-Top 327/TH350 -Knight Rider KITT replica
    1989 Pontiac Firebird Black T-Top 305/700R4 -nice sunny day daily driver
    1997 Chevrolet Silverado Ext. Cab 3rd Door White Vortec 350/4L60E
    avatar
    solo79
    Co-Admin

    Posts : 457
    Join date : 2013-02-06
    Location : Kentucky

    Re: 78 caprice sun roof repair/replacment in southern Cali

    Post  solo79 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:50 pm

    Sweet Seventy9 wrote:
    spearwarrior wrote:<snip> That is a 80s header, good eye, it will be replaced with an original.
    Have you considered keeping it?  I think it's a fantastic way to set your car apart from the rest.

    Here's the only one I've seen before:

     

    NICE!! That's actually done pretty well. Most of the ones I see, the header doesn't quite match the fenders enough because the body work isn't done to it. I've seen too many where it's just bolted right on and those later headers just don't mate with the 77-79 Fenders very well.


    _________________
    1979 Caprice Classic Carmine Metallic 2-door 350/TH350 -under slow frame off restoration!
    1982 Pontiac Trans Am Black T-Top 327/TH350 -Knight Rider KITT replica
    1989 Pontiac Firebird Black T-Top 305/700R4 -nice sunny day daily driver
    1997 Chevrolet Silverado Ext. Cab 3rd Door White Vortec 350/4L60E
    avatar
    spearwarrior
    Junior Member
    Junior Member

    Posts : 15
    Join date : 2015-02-02

    Re: 78 caprice sun roof repair/replacment in southern Cali

    Post  spearwarrior on Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:02 pm

    solo79 wrote:
    Sweet Seventy9 wrote:
    spearwarrior wrote:<snip>
    NICE!!  That's actually done pretty well.  Most of the ones I see, the header doesn't quite match the fenders enough because the body work isn't done to it.  I've seen too many where it's just bolted right on and those later headers just don't mate with the 77-79 Fenders very well.

    Fact that it doesn't match up correctly is original reason I planned on switching it, but that pic does look really good.
    avatar
    Sweet Seventy9
    Forum Moderator

    Posts : 931
    Join date : 2013-11-03
    Location : Upstate NY

    Re: 78 caprice sun roof repair/replacment in southern Cali

    Post  Sweet Seventy9 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:42 pm

    For years I've wanted to do just the headlights themselves.



    _________________
    1977 Impala Landau x1
    1977 Caprice Coupe x3, Sedan x3
    1978 Impala Landau x1, Sedan x2, Station Wagon x1
    1978 Caprice Coupe x2
    1979 Impala Coupe x2
    1979 Caprice Coupe x5, Landau x4, Estate Wagon x1
    1981 Impala Coupe x1
    1983 Caprice Sedan x1
    1984 Caprice Landau x1, Sedan x1
    1985 Caprice Coupe x1, Landau x3, Sedan x2
    1986 Caprice Coupe x1, Landau x1
    1987 Caprice Landau x1, Sedan x3
    1989 Caprice Sedan 9C1 x4
    avatar
    HeavyChevy77
    Auto Enthusiast
    Auto Enthusiast

    Posts : 215
    Join date : 2013-07-03
    Age : 24
    Location : San Diego, Ca

    Re: 78 caprice sun roof repair/replacment in southern Cali

    Post  HeavyChevy77 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:59 pm

    That's some cutting around the turn signal
    And the lights are offset high beams are about 1/4" infront of the regular lights
    avatar
    spearwarrior
    Junior Member
    Junior Member

    Posts : 15
    Join date : 2015-02-02

    Re: 78 caprice sun roof repair/replacment in southern Cali

    Post  spearwarrior on Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:44 pm

    you can kind of see that the sunroof is broken in this picture:


    been searching the local yards for months and it finally paid off!! sunroof from a 82 Cadillac eldorado, I needed some of the mounting parts from both donner and og to make it work.  I also had to trim a little bit of sheet metal from my car but its in their. 1 down, 999,000 to go.

     

     

    I need to get new weather stripping for it and the doors and i'll finally be water proof and able to wash my windows without worrying about the interior getting soaked.
    avatar
    spearwarrior
    Junior Member
    Junior Member

    Posts : 15
    Join date : 2015-02-02

    Re: 78 caprice sun roof repair/replacment in southern Cali

    Post  spearwarrior on Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:50 pm

    Gooched78Caprice wrote:
    spearwarrior wrote:I have a 2 78, one impala that i'm making a donk and a caprice that I'd like to be my daily driver.  The caprice has what seems like a stock sun roof that moves but needs to be repaired.  Any Idea where to take it in southern california? Thanks in advance.  I'll take post pics shortly.

    Welcome to the forum! Without pics or more detail I am taking a stab in the dark but here's my two pennies...
    I am hoping for you that the motor is working and you probably will just need to have it realigned on its tracks. I am not in SoCal so I'm not much help for shop recommendations but I would recommend to start hitting the auto yards for some relief from future headaches for having these rare sunroofs. Start looking for the late 70s to mid 80s gmc cars with the body by fisher lower door kickplate, I believe it's 76-84 that interchange but not 100% positive.

    My roof guy explained that there should be 2 different sizes so just measure diagonally and if it's the same they should interchange if they both have the fisher kickplate. I found my original parts donor off a 2 door cadillac and now have a spare hidden away that came off a buick that I have for any future problems and both were identical. Either way if it needs replaced or hopefully just aligned I would ask to have the seal replaced just as a precautionary measure while they are messing with it.

    For a replacement headliner, fixing my sunroof and adding a new seal it was just under $500. I had to find the parts myself since my guy with over 20 years of connections was not abe to locate one anywhere on either coast so after months of looking I felt like I struck gold when I found the first one to make mine work properly. I wish you the best on your task at hand.

    P.s. A 1978 caprice is not a Donk. The 2 doors have tons of other names, but a true Donk is the 1971-1976 body style. I know this is nitpicking but putting big wheels will just make it another aerocoupe, fishbowl, glasshouse, etc.... just with clown shoes.  tongue

    P.s.s. I might be in the minority around here but some of these cars with the 22" rims look amazing when done properly. So to each their own. If YOU love it and its how you vision your ride then who cares about what anyone else thinks! I look forward to seeing your progress with these cars.

    Thanks for this post! this is what got me a replacement sunroof and en extra motor that i need to have rebuilt
    avatar
    Gooched78Caprice
    Auto Enthusiast
    Auto Enthusiast

    Posts : 106
    Join date : 2014-11-06
    Location : Border riding in the 3-6-oh & 5-oh-3 WA/OR

    Re: 78 caprice sun roof repair/replacment in southern Cali

    Post  Gooched78Caprice on Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:37 pm

    spearwarrior wrote:Thanks for this post! this is what got me a replacement sunroof and en extra motor that i need to have rebuilt

    You're welcome! Glad to hear you found your mate. It was a moment where it felt like the sun was shining on the inside when I found mine. Keep the pics and updates coming.
    avatar
    spearwarrior
    Junior Member
    Junior Member

    Posts : 15
    Join date : 2015-02-02

    Re: 78 caprice sun roof repair/replacment in southern Cali

    Post  spearwarrior on Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:33 pm

    I found another sunroof, but the motor was missing. I'm going to wait for 50% off sale then go back and get it. If anyone needs one let me know and i'll go get it prior to next month when it might not be there.
    avatar
    kansasboy
    Junior Member
    Junior Member

    Posts : 12
    Join date : 2016-04-27

    Re: 78 caprice sun roof repair/replacment in southern Cali

    Post  kansasboy on Wed May 18, 2016 4:33 am

    HeavyChevy77 wrote:Where u at in so cal in here in san Diego county closer to the border
    It might be tough to find parts occasionally a doner will show up ..usually missing the parts you go looking for ..
    The was a place but up in san Jose ..somthingautosport... parting a 77caprice four door but Idk if it had a sunroof ...I think it did
    I was gonna get rear doors but to expensive to ship of weight and size but different case with u


    hey bro I'm in san diego and I have a sunroof but it's mad rusty. I cant find anyone with replacement parts. so I'm considering going to a hardtop. Do you know anyone that can do that?
    avatar
    spearwarrior
    Junior Member
    Junior Member

    Posts : 15
    Join date : 2015-02-02

    Re: 78 caprice sun roof repair/replacment in southern Cali

    Post  spearwarrior on Wed May 18, 2016 11:18 am

    If the roof is in good condition but the sunroof(part that can come off) is rusty I wouldn't even consider going with hardtop.  I think I have an extra sunroof but will check send me an email my screen name @ gmail
    avatar
    Sweet Seventy9
    Forum Moderator

    Posts : 931
    Join date : 2013-11-03
    Location : Upstate NY

    Re: 78 caprice sun roof repair/replacment in southern Cali

    Post  Sweet Seventy9 on Wed May 18, 2016 12:01 pm

    Although they're difficult to locate, the parts are out there. These skyroofs were used on many other GM cars also. Caddys, Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles, Buicks.

    Try these guys, they might have something.

    Bud's Salvage, Aline OK 1-800-375-2837 (Caprice)

    Silvers Auto Parts, Orono ME 1-888-666-2124 (olds 98)

    Burlington Auto Parts, Shirley MA 1-800-228-5544 (Caddy Fleetwood)

    Have your measurements ready to make sure you get the correct size.


    _________________
    1977 Impala Landau x1
    1977 Caprice Coupe x3, Sedan x3
    1978 Impala Landau x1, Sedan x2, Station Wagon x1
    1978 Caprice Coupe x2
    1979 Impala Coupe x2
    1979 Caprice Coupe x5, Landau x4, Estate Wagon x1
    1981 Impala Coupe x1
    1983 Caprice Sedan x1
    1984 Caprice Landau x1, Sedan x1
    1985 Caprice Coupe x1, Landau x3, Sedan x2
    1986 Caprice Coupe x1, Landau x1
    1987 Caprice Landau x1, Sedan x3
    1989 Caprice Sedan 9C1 x4
    avatar
    Gooched78Caprice
    Auto Enthusiast
    Auto Enthusiast

    Posts : 106
    Join date : 2014-11-06
    Location : Border riding in the 3-6-oh & 5-oh-3 WA/OR

    Re: 78 caprice sun roof repair/replacment in southern Cali

    Post  Gooched78Caprice on Wed May 18, 2016 4:09 pm

    kansasboy wrote:
    HeavyChevy77 wrote:Where u at in so cal in here in san Diego county closer to the border
    It might be tough to find parts occasionally a doner will show up ..usually missing the parts you go looking for ..
    The was a place but up in san Jose ..somthingautosport... parting a 77caprice four door but Idk if it had a sunroof ...I think it did
    I was gonna get rear doors but to expensive to ship of weight and size but different case with u


    hey bro I'm in san diego and I have a sunroof but it's mad rusty. I cant find anyone with replacement parts. so I'm considering going to a hardtop. Do you know anyone that can do that?

    The couple metal top sunroofs I've came across have been junk too. Glass ones have held up much better over time. If you just verify the size, they are interchangeable. When you find one they're not difficult to remove. You'll just remove headliner, power clip, and iirc 6 bolts to remove sunroof and surround. Reverse process with new glass one in to your car. Way easier than going to full hard top, just need patience finding a nice glass one. Best of luck in your search.
    avatar
    spearwarrior
    Junior Member
    Junior Member

    Posts : 15
    Join date : 2015-02-02

    Re: 78 caprice sun roof repair/replacment in southern Cali

    Post  spearwarrior on Wed May 18, 2016 9:21 pm

    I have sunroof, i'll get pic and diagnal dimensions

      Current date/time is Sun May 28, 2017 8:12 am