GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl
GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

A forum for all the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1965-1996, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!


    Bucket Seat/Center Console Project

    Share
    avatar
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin

    Posts : 715
    Join date : 2013-01-14
    Age : 25
    Location : Flint/Detroit, MI - Charlotte, NC

    Bucket Seat/Center Console Project

    Post  GM B-Body Forum on Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:43 pm

    Well first off let me start by saying I hadnt planned on installing bucket seats in the caprice, but an opportunity arose and I decided to go for it.

    My friend was selling a set of seats from a 2011 Audi A6, perfect immaculate condition, not a scratch or tear anywhere, both for $100. So I said why not.

    And here we are:

    Ill upload more pics soon, and show the easy cheap brackets i had to make.

    But for now, here we have German engineering fusing with an old Chevrolet lol





    Last edited by GM B-Body Forum on Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total


    _________________
    1979 Caprice Sport Coupe, 400hp Vortec 350, Th350, GM 8.5 w/disc brakes, 3.90 gears Detroit Truetrac, 2.5" stainless duals w/ x-pipe, Dynomax race bullets.
    1984 Caprice Sedan, 305 motor, 700r4
    1978 Caprice Sedan, 305 motor, th350
    1993 L99 Caprice, 4.3 v8, 4l60 trans
    1972 Ford F-100, 302 windsor, c4 trans
    2001 BMW E46 330i, 3.0L
    avatar
    solo79
    Co-Admin

    Posts : 457
    Join date : 2013-02-06
    Location : Kentucky

    Re: Bucket Seat/Center Console Project

    Post  solo79 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:41 pm

    A 79 Caprice with air bags! Awesome! The seats do look good in there! Do the 79 seat belts clip into the 2011 receivers??


    _________________
    1979 Caprice Classic Carmine Metallic 2-door 350/TH350 -under slow frame off restoration!
    1982 Pontiac Trans Am Black T-Top 327/TH350 -Knight Rider KITT replica
    1989 Pontiac Firebird Black T-Top 305/700R4 -nice sunny day daily driver
    1997 Chevrolet Silverado Ext. Cab 3rd Door White Vortec 350/4L60E
    avatar
    Sweet Seventy9
    Forum Moderator

    Posts : 953
    Join date : 2013-11-03
    Location : Upstate NY

    Re: Bucket Seat/Center Console Project

    Post  Sweet Seventy9 on Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:09 am

    They look great! Nice job!


    _________________
    1977 Impala Landau x1
    1977 Caprice Coupe x3, Sedan x3
    1978 Impala Landau x1, Sedan x2, Station Wagon x1
    1978 Caprice Landau x1, Caprice Coupe x2
    1979 Impala Coupe x2
    1979 Caprice Coupe x7, Landau x4, Estate Wagon x1
    1981 Impala Coupe x1
    1983 Impala Sedan x1
    1983 Caprice Sedan x1
    1984 Caprice Landau x1, Sedan x1
    1985 Caprice Coupe x1, Landau x3, Sedan x4
    1986 Caprice Coupe x1, Landau x1
    1987 Caprice Landau x1, Sedan x4
    1989 Caprice Sedan 9C1 x4
    avatar
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin

    Posts : 715
    Join date : 2013-01-14
    Age : 25
    Location : Flint/Detroit, MI - Charlotte, NC

    Re: Bucket Seat/Center Console Project

    Post  GM B-Body Forum on Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:41 am

    Nope had to get some cheap seat belts to use the metal whatever you call them things to fit the receiver on the seat, so if you look closely you will see two thingamabobs on the original seat belt, didnt want to cut up the originals to fit. But now ive got to get some seat belt guides/holders, since these came out of a 4 door, the seats dont move up for the rear passengers, and no seat belt guides, but all well, i think they look good and are very comfy and have firm support, very bolstered. Now im going out hunting for a center console, gonna take my measurements and see whats out in the yards.


    _________________
    1979 Caprice Sport Coupe, 400hp Vortec 350, Th350, GM 8.5 w/disc brakes, 3.90 gears Detroit Truetrac, 2.5" stainless duals w/ x-pipe, Dynomax race bullets.
    1984 Caprice Sedan, 305 motor, 700r4
    1978 Caprice Sedan, 305 motor, th350
    1993 L99 Caprice, 4.3 v8, 4l60 trans
    1972 Ford F-100, 302 windsor, c4 trans
    2001 BMW E46 330i, 3.0L
    avatar
    Sweet Seventy9
    Forum Moderator

    Posts : 953
    Join date : 2013-11-03
    Location : Upstate NY

    Re: Bucket Seat/Center Console Project

    Post  Sweet Seventy9 on Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:40 am

    mid 70s olds cutlass consoles fit perfectly and look great. If you find you like them, I have a 75 cutlass 442 with everything right down to the wiring, floor mounts and trans linkage(?).


    _________________
    1977 Impala Landau x1
    1977 Caprice Coupe x3, Sedan x3
    1978 Impala Landau x1, Sedan x2, Station Wagon x1
    1978 Caprice Landau x1, Caprice Coupe x2
    1979 Impala Coupe x2
    1979 Caprice Coupe x7, Landau x4, Estate Wagon x1
    1981 Impala Coupe x1
    1983 Impala Sedan x1
    1983 Caprice Sedan x1
    1984 Caprice Landau x1, Sedan x1
    1985 Caprice Coupe x1, Landau x3, Sedan x4
    1986 Caprice Coupe x1, Landau x1
    1987 Caprice Landau x1, Sedan x4
    1989 Caprice Sedan 9C1 x4
    avatar
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin

    Posts : 715
    Join date : 2013-01-14
    Age : 25
    Location : Flint/Detroit, MI - Charlotte, NC

    Re: Bucket Seat/Center Console Project

    Post  GM B-Body Forum on Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:52 pm

    Sweet Seventy9 wrote: I have a 75 cutlass 442 with everything right down to the wiring, floor mounts and trans linkage(?)
    Is this something your willing to sell??


    _________________
    1979 Caprice Sport Coupe, 400hp Vortec 350, Th350, GM 8.5 w/disc brakes, 3.90 gears Detroit Truetrac, 2.5" stainless duals w/ x-pipe, Dynomax race bullets.
    1984 Caprice Sedan, 305 motor, 700r4
    1978 Caprice Sedan, 305 motor, th350
    1993 L99 Caprice, 4.3 v8, 4l60 trans
    1972 Ford F-100, 302 windsor, c4 trans
    2001 BMW E46 330i, 3.0L
    avatar
    solo79
    Co-Admin

    Posts : 457
    Join date : 2013-02-06
    Location : Kentucky

    Re: Bucket Seat/Center Console Project

    Post  solo79 on Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:12 pm

    GM B-Body Forum wrote:Nope had to get some cheap seat belts to use the metal whatever you call them things to fit the receiver on the seat, so if you look closely you will see two thingamabobs on the original seat belt, didnt want to cut up the originals to fit. But now ive got to get some seat belt guides/holders, since these came out of a 4 door, the seats dont move up for the rear passengers, and no seat belt guides, but all well, i think they look good and are very comfy and have firm support, very bolstered. Now im going out hunting for a center console, gonna take my measurements and see whats out in the yards.

    Ahh, I see that now. How in the world did you slide those on there without removing the other ones? It looks like the factory one is above the 2011 on one side and below it on the other. Am I seeing that right? I didn't think the factory "buckles" or "clasps" (I don't know the proper term either), would slide off the belts because of the metal mount at the end.

    As for guides, I wonder if you couldn't attach some to the head rest or maybe the upper part of the seat (if there's any metal in there to screw to)?


    _________________
    1979 Caprice Classic Carmine Metallic 2-door 350/TH350 -under slow frame off restoration!
    1982 Pontiac Trans Am Black T-Top 327/TH350 -Knight Rider KITT replica
    1989 Pontiac Firebird Black T-Top 305/700R4 -nice sunny day daily driver
    1997 Chevrolet Silverado Ext. Cab 3rd Door White Vortec 350/4L60E
    avatar
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin

    Posts : 715
    Join date : 2013-01-14
    Age : 25
    Location : Flint/Detroit, MI - Charlotte, NC

    Re: Bucket Seat/Center Console Project

    Post  GM B-Body Forum on Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:29 pm

    Well im actually looking at these right now, they are on the new challengers and they look cool and are functional, ill have to order them and see if they would work http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=321880482638&alt=web

    As far as those seat belt clasp things, the universal seat belts i got your able to take them apart, so i just slid them on my belts, ive got to find a way without damaging them to remove the old ones.


    _________________
    1979 Caprice Sport Coupe, 400hp Vortec 350, Th350, GM 8.5 w/disc brakes, 3.90 gears Detroit Truetrac, 2.5" stainless duals w/ x-pipe, Dynomax race bullets.
    1984 Caprice Sedan, 305 motor, 700r4
    1978 Caprice Sedan, 305 motor, th350
    1993 L99 Caprice, 4.3 v8, 4l60 trans
    1972 Ford F-100, 302 windsor, c4 trans
    2001 BMW E46 330i, 3.0L
    avatar
    Sweet Seventy9
    Forum Moderator

    Posts : 953
    Join date : 2013-11-03
    Location : Upstate NY

    Re: Bucket Seat/Center Console Project

    Post  Sweet Seventy9 on Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:45 pm

    GM B-Body Forum wrote:
    Sweet Seventy9 wrote: I have a 75 cutlass 442 with everything right down to the wiring, floor mounts and trans linkage(?)
    Is this something your willing to sell??

    Sure.  It needs a good cleaning to look it's best but everything is there.

     

    I bet those seatbelt receivers would work for you too.  Well, if you want to stay period correct.


    _________________
    1977 Impala Landau x1
    1977 Caprice Coupe x3, Sedan x3
    1978 Impala Landau x1, Sedan x2, Station Wagon x1
    1978 Caprice Landau x1, Caprice Coupe x2
    1979 Impala Coupe x2
    1979 Caprice Coupe x7, Landau x4, Estate Wagon x1
    1981 Impala Coupe x1
    1983 Impala Sedan x1
    1983 Caprice Sedan x1
    1984 Caprice Landau x1, Sedan x1
    1985 Caprice Coupe x1, Landau x3, Sedan x4
    1986 Caprice Coupe x1, Landau x1
    1987 Caprice Landau x1, Sedan x4
    1989 Caprice Sedan 9C1 x4
    avatar
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin

    Posts : 715
    Join date : 2013-01-14
    Age : 25
    Location : Flint/Detroit, MI - Charlotte, NC

    Re: Bucket Seat/Center Console Project

    Post  GM B-Body Forum on Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:24 pm

    hmmm, that might work, how much would you want to rip that out and ship to me, you can pm if you want. Im still gonna go to the yard and see if i can find anything, but if that car is still avail, and i dont find anything it might be a viable option.


    _________________
    1979 Caprice Sport Coupe, 400hp Vortec 350, Th350, GM 8.5 w/disc brakes, 3.90 gears Detroit Truetrac, 2.5" stainless duals w/ x-pipe, Dynomax race bullets.
    1984 Caprice Sedan, 305 motor, 700r4
    1978 Caprice Sedan, 305 motor, th350
    1993 L99 Caprice, 4.3 v8, 4l60 trans
    1972 Ford F-100, 302 windsor, c4 trans
    2001 BMW E46 330i, 3.0L
    avatar
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin

    Posts : 715
    Join date : 2013-01-14
    Age : 25
    Location : Flint/Detroit, MI - Charlotte, NC

    Re: Bucket Seat/Center Console Project

    Post  GM B-Body Forum on Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:45 pm

    Alright for those of you who were following this post, heres the continuation.

    As you can see from the pics below, i purchased the center console from SweetSeventy9 that came out of a 75 cutlass.

    This pretty much completes the deal, and if you ask me looks pretty darn good, im very impressed, Thanks SweetSeventy9!!

    I had to purchase a few things to get it installed, like a new cable which is from a 73-77 a body, a back up light switch, bracket for the tranny, and ofcourse leds to light it all up.

    I also got a hurst shift handle which i think seals the deal.

    The worst part for me was cutting a hole in the tunnel, im somewhat of a "purist" if thats what you want to call it, so i like to do mods that are easily able to return to stock original as possible. But i made sure that small hole in the carpet and tunnel can be hid if i put the original seats back in.

    On to the pics.......











    This is the bracket i used, needed for the tranny.







    And for those of you wondering, yes i removed the column shift lever, very simple, just pop out the pin and it slides out.


    _________________
    1979 Caprice Sport Coupe, 400hp Vortec 350, Th350, GM 8.5 w/disc brakes, 3.90 gears Detroit Truetrac, 2.5" stainless duals w/ x-pipe, Dynomax race bullets.
    1984 Caprice Sedan, 305 motor, 700r4
    1978 Caprice Sedan, 305 motor, th350
    1993 L99 Caprice, 4.3 v8, 4l60 trans
    1972 Ford F-100, 302 windsor, c4 trans
    2001 BMW E46 330i, 3.0L
    avatar
    Sweet Seventy9
    Forum Moderator

    Posts : 953
    Join date : 2013-11-03
    Location : Upstate NY

    Re: Bucket Seat/Center Console Project

    Post  Sweet Seventy9 on Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:13 pm

    Thanks and WOW!, I still can't get over how awesome your whole interior looks! I can picture you out driving around, profiling the whole time! I sure would be!

    It's sort of funny, I've been telling people about the console for years and everybody was like eh, whatever. Now that you've trusted me and installed one I've had a bunch of people contact me to find them one, LOL! Call me a Dick but except for ebay they've all suddenly become unavailable. Twisted Evil


    _________________
    1977 Impala Landau x1
    1977 Caprice Coupe x3, Sedan x3
    1978 Impala Landau x1, Sedan x2, Station Wagon x1
    1978 Caprice Landau x1, Caprice Coupe x2
    1979 Impala Coupe x2
    1979 Caprice Coupe x7, Landau x4, Estate Wagon x1
    1981 Impala Coupe x1
    1983 Impala Sedan x1
    1983 Caprice Sedan x1
    1984 Caprice Landau x1, Sedan x1
    1985 Caprice Coupe x1, Landau x3, Sedan x4
    1986 Caprice Coupe x1, Landau x1
    1987 Caprice Landau x1, Sedan x4
    1989 Caprice Sedan 9C1 x4
    avatar
    Gooched78Caprice
    Auto Enthusiast
    Auto Enthusiast

    Posts : 106
    Join date : 2014-11-06
    Location : Border riding in the 3-6-oh & 5-oh-3 WA/OR

    Re: Bucket Seat/Center Console Project

    Post  Gooched78Caprice on Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:28 am

    OOOHHH WEEEE, THAT'S AWESOME! Thanks for sharing the final look with the floor shifter installed. That is coming along magnificently!
    avatar
    solo79
    Co-Admin

    Posts : 457
    Join date : 2013-02-06
    Location : Kentucky

    Re: Bucket Seat/Center Console Project

    Post  solo79 on Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:39 pm

    That console looks really good in there, I mean really good. I like how it fits up to the dash, looks like it was made for it. I bet the ash tray still opens perfectly. Great work!


    _________________
    1979 Caprice Classic Carmine Metallic 2-door 350/TH350 -under slow frame off restoration!
    1982 Pontiac Trans Am Black T-Top 327/TH350 -Knight Rider KITT replica
    1989 Pontiac Firebird Black T-Top 305/700R4 -nice sunny day daily driver
    1997 Chevrolet Silverado Ext. Cab 3rd Door White Vortec 350/4L60E
    avatar
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin

    Posts : 715
    Join date : 2013-01-14
    Age : 25
    Location : Flint/Detroit, MI - Charlotte, NC

    Re: Bucket Seat/Center Console Project

    Post  GM B-Body Forum on Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:13 pm

    I cant say thanks enough Randy!
    I love it, looks like it belongs, it fits so perfectly and even mounting the shifter was wasy because of that center brace across the floor pan.
    And yes i still have full access to the ashtray lol, only thing is, is the console blocks the front facing floor heater vents, but i removed my heater box so it obviously aint a problem for me, i think with some small flex tube you could reroute it out of the sides if need be.

    I looked at consoles from 3rd gen camaros, and a plethora of cars out in the yards but none would work or look right, yet again an A body pulls through for the rescue of a B body lol.


    _________________
    1979 Caprice Sport Coupe, 400hp Vortec 350, Th350, GM 8.5 w/disc brakes, 3.90 gears Detroit Truetrac, 2.5" stainless duals w/ x-pipe, Dynomax race bullets.
    1984 Caprice Sedan, 305 motor, 700r4
    1978 Caprice Sedan, 305 motor, th350
    1993 L99 Caprice, 4.3 v8, 4l60 trans
    1972 Ford F-100, 302 windsor, c4 trans
    2001 BMW E46 330i, 3.0L
    avatar
    Gooched78Caprice
    Auto Enthusiast
    Auto Enthusiast

    Posts : 106
    Join date : 2014-11-06
    Location : Border riding in the 3-6-oh & 5-oh-3 WA/OR

    Re: Bucket Seat/Center Console Project

    Post  Gooched78Caprice on Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:29 am

    GM B-Body Forum wrote:I looked at consoles from 3rd gen camaros, and a plethora of cars out in the yards but none would work or look right, yet again an A body pulls through for the rescue of a B body lol.

    I almost grabbed a mid 80's Grand Prix center console since they are same ones used in the 1979 Bonnevilles. I just couldn't see or imagine it making it overall look better once I am done. They are very squared off and flat, I think could look great in a four door. This console looks made for these coupes.  Cool
    GM B-Body Forum wrote:i think with some small flex tube you could reroute it out of the sides if need be.

    Funny you mentioned this since the Grand Prix/Bonneville consoles have floor vents on each side of their big boxey base. You can see the side view from this ad.



    same one from an 85 grand prix



    another option like a Holiday 88



    HAVE I EVER MENTIONED HOW MUCH I LOVE THESE CARS!!! PS I hope you dont mind me adding these pics to your thread. I'm also hoping it helps make it so not everyone goes and steals this exact idea once they add buckets and can see there are other options with these cars and keep a stock look/feel.


    Last edited by Gooched78Caprice on Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding pics for reference)
    avatar
    Sweet Seventy9
    Forum Moderator

    Posts : 953
    Join date : 2013-11-03
    Location : Upstate NY

    Re: Bucket Seat/Center Console Project

    Post  Sweet Seventy9 on Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:30 pm

    GM B-Body Forum wrote:<snip>only thing is, is the console blocks the front facing floor heater vents, but i removed my heater box so it obviously aint a problem for me, i think with some small flex tube you could reroute it out of the sides if need be.

    The Cutlass has a piece that routes the air to the sides and toward the foot wells. I'll try to remember to grab it for you just so you have it.


    _________________
    1977 Impala Landau x1
    1977 Caprice Coupe x3, Sedan x3
    1978 Impala Landau x1, Sedan x2, Station Wagon x1
    1978 Caprice Landau x1, Caprice Coupe x2
    1979 Impala Coupe x2
    1979 Caprice Coupe x7, Landau x4, Estate Wagon x1
    1981 Impala Coupe x1
    1983 Impala Sedan x1
    1983 Caprice Sedan x1
    1984 Caprice Landau x1, Sedan x1
    1985 Caprice Coupe x1, Landau x3, Sedan x4
    1986 Caprice Coupe x1, Landau x1
    1987 Caprice Landau x1, Sedan x4
    1989 Caprice Sedan 9C1 x4
    avatar
    kansasboy
    Junior Member
    Junior Member

    Posts : 12
    Join date : 2016-04-27

    Re: Bucket Seat/Center Console Project

    Post  kansasboy on Fri May 20, 2016 5:49 am

    GM B-Body Forum wrote:Alright for those of you who were following this post, heres the continuation.

    As you can see from the pics below, i purchased the center console from SweetSeventy9 that came out of a 75 cutlass.

    This pretty much completes the deal, and if you ask me looks pretty darn good, im very impressed, Thanks SweetSeventy9!!

    I had to purchase a few things to get it installed, like a new cable which is from a 73-77 a body, a back up light switch, bracket for the tranny, and ofcourse leds to light it all up.

    I also got a hurst shift handle which i think seals the deal.

    The worst part for me was cutting a hole in the tunnel, im somewhat of a "purist" if thats what you want to call it, so i like to do mods that are easily able to return to stock original as possible. But i made sure that small hole in the carpet and tunnel can be hid if i put the original seats back in.

    On to the pics.......











    This is the bracket i used, needed for the tranny.







    And for those of you wondering, yes i removed the column shift lever, very simple, just pop out the pin and it slides out.

    where did you get your guages below your steering wheel from?

    Gregc
    Newbie
    Newbie

    Posts : 1
    Join date : 2014-03-30

    Re: Bucket Seat/Center Console Project

    Post  Gregc on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:35 pm

    Pontiac, Buick and Olds had bucket seat and console options for their B-Bodies, but Chevy didn't.  Since the buckets and console were borrowed from each division's G-Body counterpart, I thought what if Chevy came out with such an option.  So I used buckets from a Buick G-Body and a console and shifter from a 87 Monte Carlo.  I also used used a Monte Carlo SS steering wheel, but I replaced the SS emblem with a bowtie emblem.  For my 85 Delta 88 Royale Brougham Coupe, I did the same thing, except I used console and shifter from an 86 Cutlass Supreme.  For my 77 Riviera, I took buckets from an S-10 blazer and using Buick Regal Console and shifter.  



    Gooched78Caprice wrote:
    GM B-Body Forum wrote:I looked at consoles from 3rd gen camaros, and a plethora of cars out in the yards but none would work or look right, yet again an A body pulls through for the rescue of a B body lol.

    I almost grabbed a mid 80's Grand Prix center console since they are same ones used in the 1979 Bonnevilles. I just couldn't see or imagine it making it overall look better once I am done. They are very squared off and flat, I think could look great in a four door. This console looks made for these coupes.  Cool
    GM B-Body Forum wrote:i think with some small flex tube you could reroute it out of the sides if need be.

    Funny you mentioned this since the Grand Prix/Bonneville consoles have floor vents on each side of their big boxey base. You can see the side view from this ad.



    same one from an 85 grand prix



    another option like a Holiday 88



    HAVE I EVER MENTIONED HOW MUCH I LOVE THESE CARS!!! PS I hope you dont mind me adding these pics to your thread. I'm also hoping it helps make it so not everyone goes and steals this exact idea once they add buckets and can see there are other options with these cars and keep a stock look/feel.

      Current date/time is Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:33 pm