GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl
GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

A forum for all the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1965-1996, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

Trying to find a crossmember

kansasboy

Trying to find a crossmember

Post  kansasboy on Sun May 15, 2016 11:07 pm

What crossmembers have you guys found and or used to run dual exhuast and bolt right up? I want to do an 5.3 LS swap and I'm also trying to decide which transmission to match it unless I can get a 4L60E transmission from a silverado. any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Kit1078

Re: Trying to find a crossmember

Post  Kit1078 on Mon May 16, 2016 12:02 am

I haven't found a dual exhaust crossmember that will bolt right up. I have a dual exhaust crossmember from a '96 Caprice that was supposed to bolt up, but I can't get it to clear the floor pan on the driver's side. If you can get one and get it to fit, it will work with the 4L60E, as that's what the 94-96 B bodies used. I think there is a company that makes a (rather cheap looking) aftermarket crossmember. I usually just cut an arch in it on the driver's side and then reinforce it to work.
    kansasboy

Post  kansasboy on Mon May 16, 2016 4:13 am

Kit1078 wrote:I haven't found a dual exhaust crossmember that will bolt right up.  I have a dual exhaust crossmember from a '96 Caprice that was supposed to bolt up, but I can't get it to clear the floor pan on the driver's side.  If you can get one and get it to fit, it will work with the 4L60E, as that's what the 94-96 B bodies used. I think there is a company that makes a (rather cheap looking) aftermarket crossmember. I usually just cut an arch in it on the driver's side and then reinforce it to work.  

Well if you got it to work, I might give it a try unless I find the god send that magically bolts right up
    terry cronk
    Auto Enthusiast
    Auto Enthusiast

crossmember

Post  terry cronk on Mon May 16, 2016 7:42 am

I recently purchased this unit.  Its heavy duty.  Soon to be installed.  $269.00/shipped

updated: available now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-Force-Performance-RCB3-700-Trans-Crossmember-79-90-B-Body-700R4-4L60E-/191786805782?hash=item2ca7626a16:g:lQQAAOSwGotWnj~3&vxp=mtr
    Xtreme Thunder
    Auto Novice
    Auto Novice

Post  Xtreme Thunder on Mon May 16, 2016 6:40 pm

Transmission crossmembers that allow for dual exhaust and provisions for the 4L60/65/70E series transmissions you can research, customization of your current, G-Force (last time I checked it wasn't on their site and I had to contact them directly for information), and BRP Hot Rods.

Make sure the crossmember you choose works with the LS Swap engine brackets/ mounts you use to maintain proper driveline angles. That also leads into the headers and oil pan you plan on using as well.

Are you looking to go DBW or DBC for throttle control? Gen III or Gen IV? EFI?

kansasboy

Post  kansasboy on Wed May 18, 2016 4:10 am

Xtreme Thunder wrote:Transmission crossmembers that allow for dual exhaust and provisions for the 4L60/65/70E series transmissions you can research, customization of your current, G-Force (last time I checked it wasn't on their site and I had to contact them directly for information), and BRP Hot Rods.

Make sure the crossmember you choose works with the LS Swap engine brackets/ mounts you use to maintain proper driveline angles. That also leads into the headers and oil pan you plan on using as well.

Are you looking to go DBW or DBC for throttle control? Gen III or Gen IV? EFI?

I haven't decided which computer to go with yet, bruh

Current date/time is Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:28 am