I removed as much of the rust as I could and used a rust encapsulator from Eastwood to hopefully seal up anything that was left. I'm skeptical about it but time will tell how well it works. On top of that I put some spray-bomb spatter paint to make it look halfway factory even though it will be covered with the carpeting.
While I had the seats out I was able to get the headliner cardboard out of the passenger front door so I could replace the headliner material. I posted this a while back in a different thread about headliners I believe.
I got my new carpeting and headliner material from stockinteriors.com and I am happy with the quality of everything I got from them. I've been working on this a little bit at a time and I finally got everything trimmed and fit enough to get the front seat back in so I can move the car around easier.
It's tough to get a good picture of the headliner but it came out pretty good.
I still have some repair work to do on the right quarter panel so I'm not going to get the back seat and the rest of the interior back together until that is done. There is some damage on the C-pillar and right rear door seems about the height of a mailbox.
With the vinyl top peeled back it looked like this. Of course the small rust spot peeking out at the bottom became a lot larger. The last time I fixed a similar spot on an '80 Malibu there ended up being some pinholes through the metal.
There was some access from the inside to get to the dent but not a lot. I made a tool out of an old pry bar with a missing handle and one of those rear view mirror buttons that usually holds a mirror on a windshield to help with the job.
This is after I roughed out the dent with my custom made pry bar and is how the job stands right now. I'm not sure how much more I will do with the dent since it just has to be good enough to not be noticeable with the vinyl glued back in place. Next step is to clean up the rust with my vacuum sandblaster and see if there is enough metal left hopefully with no holes.
So, a little more repair work to do and a little paint work and I should be able to drive this thing this summer. I lost all of last summer as far as driving the car goes because I just couldn't get motivated to get it done.