GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl
GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

A forum for all the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1965-1996, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

The Never Ending Project (86 caprice lq4 t56)

efladerr

Post  efladerr on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:52 pm

Hi guys welcome to my project thread this is will be my first project car ever I'm 19 and using the money I'm getting from my college and a job in a bank to build this car xD. It's a 1986 caprice brougham with a 350 and a 700r4 engine which was swapped by the previous owner bought it for 1000 USD . engine had an overheating problem we tried a couple of things to fix it but no luck. so we suggested that problem is in the head gasket. I'm going to swap it so I didn't bother to fix it. Transmission shifting badly also didn't try to fix it xD. Had an electrical problem and always drains the battery overnight guess what I didn't fix xD. Although I tried to to fix the electrical problem but I didn't know what I was doing xD.

This project may take along time to complete just because money. I know I can do lots of thing cheaper than what I'm going to do but this is the way I want it Smile.

Edit: Instagram: caprice6.0 (was caprice_lq4 before.)

Project Status:
    -Brake lines (bleeding the Master cylinders and brakes left)
    -Fuel System (Haven't ordered parts yet)

So here is some of the things that I will be doing to the car.
    -LQ4 swap with the EFI system (I was going to run a carb but I changed my mind).
    -T56 either from a junkyard or I will get the Tremec magnum (last time I checked the junkyard t56 where I live cost nearly 3000 dollars which close to the tremec magnum so buying the mag is the best choice for me).
    -Painless chassis wiring harness
    -and some other things that you will see during the progress of the build  

Here is the car when I first bought it.

Painted the some of the trim black.

Removing the vinyl top. 

Used brake clean and WD-40 and scratched the glue with a penny xD. took me two day maybe a total of 13 hours.

Took every thing out. I will be getting a new black carpet when its time to work on the interior

Bye bye wiring and AC.

Engine and trans out.

Going to the junkyard to sell everything I took out from the car that was not going to be used. before I took the engine to the junkyard I took off the heads just to see If I was right about the head gasket. And I think they put the wrong gasket because it was blocking some passages for the water I wish I took a pic to show it here.

Cleaned it as much as I can with a drill and a wire brush wheel.

Painted it black with some shitty paint.

Used undercoating to paint the rear end. I will paint the rest of the under side of the car when it runs so I can take it to some place with a lift.

The shitty paint. (you will understand why it's shitty in a sec xD)

Bought me an 80-85 bumper with the grill and a broken headlight bezel.

Got this cool Wilwood pedal assembley with dual brake master cylinders part no. (340-11295) and a clutch pedal and a firewall mount part number (250-13167).this part stressed me alot just because a cut in a firewall was needed to be made to mount this bracket. I have ever cut or welded any metal before I took it to some place that does that.

I skipped my classes just to witness my caprice being chopped and feel the pain xD. It took one whole day and I didn't like the welding they did please tell me what you think guys. I might redo the whole thing when after I learn to weld.

Last edited by efladerr on Sat May 20, 2017 12:56 pm; edited 8 times in total
    efladerr

Post  efladerr on Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:10 pm

Here is a close up on the welds after cleaning them a little bit. below the windshield wipers on the cowl you can see the melted metal. thats because I told them to weld another bracket just for safety but it can be easily broken with one hit with a hammer. And that why I hate to let someone to do the job for me.

Remember when I painted this part of the car ?. the paint didn't stick right and was all gone with a couple of rainy days xD.

Used the same undercoating I used on the rear end to repaint this section.

Now I'm waiting for parts to be delivered to start redoing the brake lines here's what I have now
    two master cylinders for the brake pedal ,brake line clamps and pressure residual valve that was recommended by Willwood for the rear drums.

Hurst lin4 lock, brake line fittings, -3 an wrench, brake pressure sensor and four stainless steel flex lines from earls.

Boogie1468

transmission swap 700R4 to manual

Post  Boogie1468 on Tue May 02, 2017 10:30 pm

You are a brave guy! That's an enormous amount of work installing a clutch pedal assembly into a car that was never offered as a manual. Getting the geometry of the clutch pedal right is no easy task. If you get the clutch-brake peadlsin the wrong position it will feel funny to your feet.

Arc welding the thin sheet metal is difficult unless you have 0.025" wire and a mig welder. Even then, the sheet metal is so thin, it takes a good deal of experience to weld effectively.

Keep us posted on your rogress.
    Sweet Seventy9
    Forum Moderator

Re: The Never Ending Project (86 caprice lq4 t56)

Post  Sweet Seventy9 on Wed May 03, 2017 9:06 pm

ALL RIGHT!! A swap to a manual transmission! I'll be watching this thread!

1978 Caprice Coupe x2
    1979 Impala Coupe x2
    1979 Caprice Coupe x5, Landau x4, Estate Wagon x1
    1981 Impala Coupe x1
    1983 Caprice Sedan x1
    1984 Caprice Landau x1, Sedan x1
    1985 Caprice Coupe x1, Landau x3, Sedan x2
    1986 Caprice Coupe x1, Landau x1
    1987 Caprice Landau x1, Sedan x3
    1989 Caprice Sedan 9C1 x4
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin

Post  GM B-Body Forum on Sat May 06, 2017 9:08 pm

Same here! Looks good man keep us posted this is interesting for sure!

1993 L99 Caprice, 4.3 v8, 4l60 trans
    1972 Ford F-100, 302 windsor, c4 trans
    2001 BMW E46 330i, 3.0L
    GM B-Body Forum
    Admin

Post  GM B-Body Forum on Sat May 06, 2017 9:10 pm

Check this out if you haven't, b bodies were designed to be had with a manual transmission just never went into production. https://www.gmbbodyforum.com/t288-old-school-manual-transmission-conversion-instructions?highlight=Manual+transmission

1993 L99 Caprice, 4.3 v8, 4l60 trans
    1972 Ford F-100, 302 windsor, c4 trans
    2001 BMW E46 330i, 3.0L
    efladerr

Post  efladerr on Sat May 20, 2017 10:28 am

Boogie1468 wrote:You are a brave guy!  That's an enormous amount of work installing a clutch pedal assembly into a car that was never offered as a manual.  Getting the geometry of the clutch pedal right is no easy task.  If you get the clutch-brake peadlsin the wrong position it will feel funny to your feet.

Arc welding the thin sheet metal is difficult unless you have 0.025" wire and a mig welder.   Even then, the sheet metal is so thin, it takes a good deal of experience to weld effectively.

Keep us posted on your rogress.

Thanks dude, But I got to say that I didn't do the welding and the mounting of the pedal I left it for someone who knows better than me. And this might be the only thing that I let someone do for me xD.
    efladerr

Brake Lines, Pedals, Master Cylinders and Line Lock All Done

Post  efladerr on Sat May 20, 2017 12:48 pm

Hello,

So I finally finished installing the brake lines, the pedals and the line lock. but after two day I noticed that I forgot to plum the Brake light switch with the lines xD. so I'll have to do that another day.

Time to start working. Started with mounting the pedals bracket and fitting the stainless steel lines and the -3an bulkhead.

Nickle copper lines.

Here is when I already mounted the pedals and the master cylinders to the bracket and was trying to mount the Master cylinders tanks. I used rivet nuts to hold the tanks in place.

A look at the rivet nuts from behind. I notice that there was lots of surface rust so I painted this area (Didn't take pictures).

Pluming the line lock.

Front end brake lines done.

Routed the line to the passenger side through the trans tunnel. I thinks it better than running it under the engine.

A picture of the pedals mounted. there is one problem and by the looks of it the brake pedal is too far from the gas pedal. But I have to drive it this way to make sure. If it is too far I have a great idea i might try to fix this problem.

Rear brake line.

Here is the rest. First time doing this. That why it looks a little shitty xD. Zip ties were temporary.

I noticed that the Tee in the middle of the rear end was high a little. I might shorten each side of the lines to bring it down.

The old brake lines.

Bought some OEM engine mounts and filled them with polyurethane (Got this idea from Hot Rod Garage Smile).
    '

Painted the gas tank. I may start with the fuel system next month.

This pic was after the day I finished the front brake lines.
    efladerr

Post  efladerr on Sat May 20, 2017 1:05 pm

GM B-Body Forum wrote:Check this out if you haven't, b bodies were designed to be had with a manual transmission just never went into production. https://www.gmbbodyforum.com/t288-old-school-manual-transmission-conversion-instructions?highlight=Manual+transmission

Nice, I didn't know about that.

Current date/time is Wed May 24, 2017 11:34 am