GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl
GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

A forum for all the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1965-1996, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

Turbo 350 rebuild

terry cronk
    Auto Enthusiast
    Auto Enthusiast

Turbo 350 rebuild

Post  terry cronk on Tue May 16, 2017 9:04 am

I pulled the turbo 350 in, dismantled it, cleaned and ordered rebuild kit.   Direct clutch had only 4 clutches.  

Measured the piston, took off .110 off the face for additional clutch and steel.  I used the forward pressure plate(thinner) in order to allow .030-.035 clearance.

Then I machined off about .045(thicker plate) off the forward piston for proper clearance.  Ended up with 5 and 5 in both clutch packs.

Alto red clutches and Kolene steels.  Before buying a kit ask to make sure there is a total of 10 clutches and 10 steels in the kit.

I installed a Fairbanks shift kit for street/strip.   Also a new hardened intermediate sprag.  A 700R4 lower case support with the larger roller and new roller cage.  

It is about 50% more holding power.  Fits right in.  Also purchased a Boss Hog stall convertor that's 1800-2200 rpm stall.

Also installed is the larger diameter cable drive with the correct gears for my speedo.

When I get it all in, I'll report back on how things are going.

Love this warmer weather.

Three pictures

The 2 extra quart pan.  No extension on filter needed.

Fairbanks kit number(upside down)

The Alto clutches and Kolene hardened steels
    HeavyChevy77
    Auto Enthusiast
    Auto Enthusiast

Re: Turbo 350 rebuild

Post  HeavyChevy77 on Wed May 17, 2017 3:04 pm

Nice work bro got the th200 that's still holding on but wanna get a 4 speed preferable the th2004r but a th350 is cheaper and more readily available
    Reason for the th2004r is more gears for lower freeway rpm better mpg and not to mention more gears to rip through
    I was thinking bout going with a gear splitter to make that 3 speed a 6 speed essentially. Wanted to know what you (and other here) think know or heard about that.
    terry cronk
    Auto Enthusiast
    Auto Enthusiast

350 rebuild

Post  terry cronk on Wed May 17, 2017 4:18 pm

The split gearing is a more complicated avenue. Adding a gear box attached to your output.

The only one that I know of is Gear Vendors that sells an attachable unit. With a choice of ratio to go to for O.D..

Other than that the 700R4 is a good choice that's 1984-1987 that's NOT ECU (electronic control unit).

Getting harder to find lately. Not crazy about the gear ratio.

The 2004R is nice, but more costly to build up to last. I love the gear ratio. But we can't have our cake and eat it too.

Good luck. Let us know how you come out.

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:48 pm