GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

Join Now If Your A 1977- 1979 Caprice or Impala owner or other GM B-Body owner!!!
Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/BBodyForum?ref=hl
GM B-Body Forum, 77-79 Caprice/Impala Forum

A forum for all the owners and enthusiasts of General Motors B-Bodies from 1965-1996, but dedicated to the owners of 1977-1979 Impalas and Caprices. Join up now!

Emissions Control

Kiwi Robin

Emissions Control Empty Emissions Control

Post  Kiwi Robin on Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:07 pm

Hi Folks
    I live in New Zealand and I have a 1980 Chevy Caprice Classic 305 4dr sedan which I want to rip out all the Emission control junk, I would be grateful for any info to help me make this easy as possible, looking forward to any replies.
    Cheers..................Kiwi Robin.12.09.2018.
    Kit1078
    Kit1078
    Auto Novice
    Auto Novice

Emissions Control Empty Re: Emissions Control

Post  Kit1078 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:21 pm

If this is the same 305 V8 that came in the American version, all you should need to get rid of most of the emissions equipment is a non-computer distributor and carburetor. I don't know what speed shop or parts supplier you have available?
    Kiwi Robin

Post  Kiwi Robin on Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:37 pm

My caprice was imported into New Zealand in 1987, I can get most parts from Rockauto shipped to NZ at a reasonable cost
    Kit1078
    Kit1078
    Auto Novice
    Auto Novice

Post  Kit1078 on Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:44 pm

Alright. So, the first thing you want to figure out is whether or not your car has a computer controlled carburetor. I think 1980 is the changeover year from non computer to computer controlled. (Yes, they actually had a computer controlled carburetor, as opposed to early throttle body injection. They're complicated, fickle, and, frankly, a pain in the...)

If you don't have a computer controlled carburetor, it's just a matter of weeding out the unnecessary vacuum controls and blocking off the EGR valve. If you do have a computer controlled carburetor, you'll need to get ahold of a non-computer controlled carburetor AND distributor.

The following link is an example of the computer controlled carburetor commonly used:
    https://www.i-5automotive.com/product/4-barrel-rochester-quadrajet-e4mc/

The only real difference externally from the normal carburetor is the addition of two plugs, one near the accelerator pump on the front of the carburetor, usually a 3 prong plug, and one on top of the carburetor, usually a 2 prong plug (shown in blue on the pictures)

I do not know of any way to convert that to a non-computer controlled carburetor.

I did this same conversion on my '85 olds wagon about 10 years ago. It's not terrible, but you need to have a timing light around if you're going to remove the distributor. Also, a vacuum gauge helps when tuning (nothing fancy, so long as it reads to about 25 inches/1 bar vacuum).
    Kiwi Robin

Post  Kiwi Robin on Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:18 pm

01.03.2019 09:50:20. AM NZ Time.

Kit1078

I have done a bit of research on my carburetor (17080204 M4ME) it is a non computer unit with a heated choke coil as per 'The Carburetor Dr', so on that note it should be pretty straight forward for the removal of the Emission Control stuff, I am sure Mr 'Google' will come into play somewhere.

Thanks for your input it is most appreciated, I will let you know how I get on with this in the future.

Cheers.....................Kiwi Robin.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:58 am